Thursday, April 22, 2010

Breastfailure

That's right I'm a breastfeeding failure. Breastfeeding has been an uphill battle since day one. First it was that Kate wouldn't latch correctly and wasn't getting anything. Then I never produced enough milk to feed her just breast milk, which I was fine with because at least she was getting some. The plan was to breastfeed and pump so that Jeff would get the opportunity to feed Kate too and I was going to do this for a year. Everyone that I told this to was surprised but this was the plan. I didn't have a birth plan but I had a feeding plan. But unfortunately the plan never really even started. Now the breastfeeding adventure is over, I have no more milk to give. I am mad! I am mad because I didn't get the choice to stop breastfeeding. I had just started to get used to the routine. I loved in the morning when I would pump, Kate and I just talked and talked. I feel like I have been cheated because I never really got the chance to give this one thing to my daughter. She was suppose to get a years worth of milk not two months of some breast milk some formula.
As I pack up all my maternity clothes its a little bitter sweet. I really didn't like being pregnant but I'm sad that the experience is over. Looking back on it maybe it wasn't really that bad. Or maybe it was and my mind just chooses to block out those memories. Who knows. Maybe in a few years Ill want to do it all over again. I should probably look through this blog before I do though, it might change my mind.

Two months pregnant. I think my lovely glow is half sun tan and half all day sickness.


Five months pregnant.


Seven months pregnant. Don't I look so happy!


Leaving to go to the hospital to be induced. 41 weeks pregnant!


Oh but the result is so worth it!!!



2 comments:

Team Tylicki said...

Oh Susan! DO NOT FEEL BAD ABOUT STOPPING BREASTFEEDING!!!! My plan was to breastfeed rylan until he was 1 yr old as well, but that faultered. I had to stop around 5 months. I felt like I was a failure and that I wasnt a good mom because I couldn't do this for my child. BUT my family and mike kept telling me that I was a great mother and I was doing what was right for my son and even if i gave him formula it was going to benefit him and I was not a failure. So chin up! You are a stupendous mom and I am sure Kate loves you unconditionally!!!! Look at it this way, atleast she got the best of your milk- the beginning stages are the most important for her and you are a trouper for making it 2 months. Some people stop once they leave the hospital. Hope everything is good your way! Kate is just ADORABLE!!!! xxoo

Cynthia said...

Don't feel bad! I had a horrible experience with the twins and I felt terrible too. I only know a few people who actually breastfed their babies for more than a month or two. Most people I know never even tried! You did (and are doing!) a great job. :) CKS